The upcoming world science fiction convention, Worldcon 75, has released its preliminary schedule. The five-day event in Helsinki includes over 840 individual items and 800 hours of content.
Programme highlights include:
- Guest of Honour Johanna Sinisalo will receive the Prometheus Award for her novel Core of the Sun, and participate in discussions about the Kalevala, Finnish science fiction, and the culture on board the passenger ferries sailing between Finland and Sweden.
- Guest of Honour Nalo Hopkinson is involved in panel discussions about writing effective dialogue and science fiction in the Caribbean.
- Our astronaut guest Kjell Lindgren will lecture on space medicine, the effects of space travel on the human body, and his experiences at the ISS.
- Guest of Honour Walter Jon Williams will participate in debates on military sf by women authors and getting started on writing your first novel.
- Science guest Ian Stewart will discuss what can be learnt from failed predictions in science fiction and lecture about how our brains interpret contradictory visual information.
- Guest of Honour John-Henri Holmberg will participate in panels about sf classics for young readers, the history of Nordic science fiction, and the development of feminism in science fiction.
- Artist Guest of Honour Claire Wendling will take part in panels about European comic strips and about famous cover art.
- George RR Martin will have two autograph sessions, one on Thursday and one on Saturday, as well as participate in the Tea and Jeopardy podcast.
The other participants include Cixin Liu, Jo Walton, Charlie Stross, Karin Tidbeck, Jeff Vandermeer, Joe Haldeman, Elizabeth Hand, Robin Hobb, Mary Robinette Kowal, Aliette de Bodard, Hal Duncan, Ken Liu, Greer Gilman, Amal Al-Mohtar, Ellen Kushner, Geoffrey A. Landis, Robert Silverberg, Jonathan Strahan, Elizabeth Bear, Pat Cadigan, Gary K. Wolfe, Ann Vandermeer, Ellen Datlow, Ada Palmer, Charlie Jane Anders, Scott Edelman, Mur Lafferty, and Alasdair Stuart.
The full programme is at http://www.worldcon.fi/programme/schedule/